Friday, June 3, 2011

Blooming in the Classroom

I can't tell you how lucky I am to have 3 years with my students.  My students stay with me from the ages of 6 to 9 years old.  Many of them continue on with me as I work with the 9 - 12 year olds on a Shakespeare production each year.

Today is Commencement and Moving Up.  Our school uses a gate to represent moving from one level to the next.  Tonight all the students will walk through the gate, moving on to new adventures and planes of development.

I like to think of the classroom as a garden.  A teacher scatters seeds among the fertile minds of the children.  It is always interesting to see what takes hold in each individual.  What grows with nurturing and care is always a litlle bit of a miracle.

Tonight I send all my students through "the gate".  Some will return to me next year, some will move on to other schools, and some will move up to a higher level.  I have seen each child grow as they learn in a place that provides light, care, and understanding.  They have each blossomed into more mature, responsible, happy, interesting, and kind human beings.

Isn't this what we want for all of our children.  We want them to pursue their passions, grow in a healthy environment, be able to take responsibility, able to resolve conflicts, and able to make good choices for themselves.  I am very proud of each and every one of them.

I have the best job in the world.  I get to encourage, inspire, enlighten, and start these children off on an amazing journey through life.  I love that many of my former students keep in touch with me and remember me fondly.  It is always a good day when your garden is in bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment