I have decided to move to a bigger stage. As a Montessori educator I have loved being in the classroom environment in the small private school where I felt at peace. Setting the stage (known as the environment), introducing students to concepts and mentoring children have become my calling. I have had a change of heart however and am now feeling the tug of taking this show to a bigger audience.
I have come to believe that all children deserve a Montessori education, not just the ones who can pay for it.
I will continue to be a Montessori educator but will move from a private school to a public charter school. There is a need to spread Maria Montessori's work to everyone, not just those who can pay for it.
So I am off on a new adventure.
Here are a few ideas I hope to share with the public through this blog and through the children and families I will come into contact with.
- We all need a mentor to guide us. Education should be based on a system where students have mentors who are in their corner for life.
- Maria Montessori worked with the poorest students, so her methods are not only for the privileged.
- Practical life skills need to be taught in schools as we become a society where both parents are working.
- Being kind, being safe and doing your best can take you a long way in life.
- Students can become confident in any situation, they can have poise, grace and good manners.
- The students of today are the leaders of tomorrow so let's prepare them thoughtfully. Give them conflict resolution skills and the ability to take an idea and make it a reality.