Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Mail is Here!

When I go to the mailbox these days, it is not with anticipation and joy, it is a routine.  What I usually find, especially in January, are bills, solicitations, flyers and other things I have to shred.  I'll admit, December was a bit more exciting.  Holiday cards make me happy, especially they include a photo or a note.  This year we got many cards and photos but very few personal notes.  For convenience friends and family have their names and greeting pre printed.  I understand that in this day and age of instant communication, email, twitter, facebook, that the art of writing letters has been lost.

So when I went to the mailbox yesterday, I was surprised, delighted, and downright touched to get a letter.  A handwritten letter from a mentor and friend was waiting for me.  It felt like a gift or something to treasure. 

I came in and put my things away, cozied up on the couch with Ziggy and Ollie, and opened this unusual pheonmenon.  The letter was not long, but that did not diminish the joy it gave me.  Someone cares enough about me to sit down, write a personal note, address the envelope, put a stamp on it and get it in the mail.  This used to be the "norm".  People tied treasured letters in ribbons and saved them.  We don't do this enough.

When is the last time you sent or received a letter?  Feel lucky if you have.  Web communications feel impersonal.  I have never felt "cozy" with my computer or ipad or phone or nook.  But that cozy feeling you get from reading a real letter or a real book does not compare to anything else.  Don't you want your children to have that experience?

Think about the people who are important to you.  Sit down and write a letter to send to one of them.  It will bring immense  joy and a feeling of fondness for the sender.  It is an easy way to makes someone feel special.

No comments:

Post a Comment