Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year, Happy New Day!


It is the first morning of the new year.  I love mornings.  I love waking up early and watching the sunrise.  This is the time I take for myself.

I let the dogs out, I make tea, I sit and watch the sunrise.  I breathe consiously. Long, slow breaths going in and out.

I focus on the person I want to be today.  Each day is a new start, I like to take it one day at a time.  It is good to have long term goals (looking at the whole year ahead), but short term goals matter too.

First I do a quick body scan.  Do I have any aches and pains?  Sorry to say, the older I get the more often this holds true.  I consicously stretch that area and try to send my breathe to my achy spot.

I take the next few moments to relax.   I send thoughts of yesterday, worries, anxiety and deadlines away and close my eyes and just be one with the universe.

Then I chose three words to focus on for the day.  Words that focus my energy for the what shape I want this day to take.  Some of the words I like are:
Grateful
Calm
Wise
Graceful
Energetic
Happy
Loving
Empathetic
Compassionate
Optimistic
A catalyst
Direct
Truthful
Tactful
Hard working
Organized

The list goes on and on.  I only try to focus on 3, although they all play in to who I want to become.

Your life is a work in progress.  You can choose to let life happen to you and react to the circumstances or you can focus on who you are, knowing that life will unfold with all it's wonders, surprises and challenges, and you will be ready for them every new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment