Thursday, October 6, 2011

How to create the next Steve Jobs

I have been thinking about the passing of Steve Jobs.  And although I mourn the loss of this visionary, I have to wonder how he got to be who he was?  How can I help my students become visionaries?  How can teachers and parents foster the creativity, confidence, and vision it takes to change the world?

Well, this got me thinking about other great visionaires.  They seem to have a few attributes in common.

Here are the qualities I want to foster in our children:

  1. Embrace mistakes and failure, learn from them.
  2. Simple is better.
  3. Find your passion and pursue it wholeheartedly.
  4. Don't let anyone tell you, it can't be done.  Don't tell yourself it can't be done.
  5. When working makes you happy you are working on the right thing.
  6. Time is limited, don't wait, do it now.
  7. Trust your heart.
Giving your child a Montessori education is a good start.  Help them learn to celebrate mistakes.  I see so many children who fear doing it "wrong".  I tell them that I make more mistakes than anyone.  That's why they make erasers.

Simple is elegant.  Simple is timeless.  Simple leads to successful.

Love what you do.  Love it so much you don't even know time is passing by while you are working on it.  Everyone has a passion although I must admit it is harder to find in some.  I see it in my students, some love to draw (the artists and the engineers), some love to play chess (the CEO's and the game creators), some love to argue (the lawyers), some love to talk (the communicators), some love to read (the authors and researchers).  Help your child find his or her passion.

Be a cheerleader for your child.  Let your child try as many things as they want.  Cheer wildly and believe in their dreams.

Banish the word "can't" from your vocabulary.  

Notice what keeps your child busy and happy.  Nurture these activities.

Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!  Who knows how many tomorrows we have?

Trust the child, trust that she has everything she needs to learn and grow.

Last but not least, turn off the TV.  Children cannot be creative when they are passively entertained.

Steve Jobs, you will be missed.  God speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment