I have created a 4 step system that will help children "Look befor they leap" into a choice. As a matter of fact using the letters in LEAP will help you remember this system.
Knowing what type of question to ask is essential when giving children choices. Take a look at the following 2 questions to see the difference:
- What would you like for lunch?
- Would you like a turkey or a peanut butter sandwich?
- Would you like to help me with the dusting or folding the laundry?
- Would you rather dust or fold the laundry?
- Do you want to do your homework now or later?
- Do you want to do your homework now while I make dinner and can help you or later while the rest of the family is watching a (DVD)?