Monday, July 25, 2011
Here is a healthy and delicious recipe to try with your kids:
Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies
I made these yesterday with the following modifications. They turned out terrific!
· used 5/8 cup white whole wheat flour
· added 1/4 cup packed natural brown sugar
· did not add cinnamon
· used quick cook oats and unsalted peanut butter
· added 1/3 cup of 60% dark chocolate chips
· scooped 2" balls and flattened the top of the cookie
These cookies had a crispy crust and a wonderfully chewy center. I think the brown sugar helped give it that texture. They reminded me of commercially baked cookies that you might enjoy at a coffee house. Love them! Thanks again for contributing another great recipe!
· 3/4 c whole wheat flour ( I used a little less, adjust depending on the moisture of the batter)
· 3/4 c oats
· 1/2 tsp salt
· 1/2 tsp baking soda
· optional: 1 tsp cinnamon
· 1 c smooth natural peanut butter ( I used 1 ¼ cups)
· 1/2 c honey (easier with liquid honey)
· 1 egg
· 2 tsp vanilla
· optional: 1/3-1/2 c chocolate or carob chips
1. Combine dry ingredients
2. Combine moist ingredients
3. Mix dry and moist ingredients together.
4. Cool in the fridge for 20 minutes.
5. Drop teaspoons of batter on a parchment-lined cookie sheet or baking sheet for cookies.
6. Flatten with a fork if you like.
7. Bake at 375 for 8-12 minutes - edges will be slightly browned - be careful not to burn as honey browns fast.