Sunday, August 2, 2015

Travels Within, Travels Without

I have always loved to travel. The world offers adventures and experiences. It deserves to be explored.  Every year Bill and I would load up the car and set out on a road trip. I have seen most of North America because of him. I am grateful that we had the chance to explore everything from the deserts of the southwest, the coastline of California, Victoria BC, the Canadian Rockies, Across to Maine, down to Florida and everything in between.

This year I ventured to the beautiful country of Italy. I went with a friend and we explored from Lake Como to Verona, Venezia, Pisa, Firenze, Assisi, and Rome. I could not have packed more into the trip if I had stayed there for 3 weeks on my own.  I appreciate the expertise of Insight Travel and our wonderful guide, Chris.


I have to admit, it was scary to venture out without Bill.  We enjoyed planning and taking trips together.  Every time I do something by myself that we used to do together it takes my breath away for a minute and I deeply feel his absence.  So although I traveled without him, the trip was one of travel within myself and learning to trust my choices when out in the world.

I am grateful for my friend, Sany, who came with me on this adventure.  We were two widows winding our way through the world.  Talking about the husbands we missed and having memorable adventures on  our own.
So what do I take away from this trip.  We made new friendships, experienced laughter and discovery of new vistas, inner strength, inner peace, and self actualization.  All the things I hope my students take away with them at the end of each year.  So as I get ready to start another school year, I will remember that we are on a journey in the classroom together.  Let's make it memorable and let's discover our hidden strengths.



No comments:

Post a Comment