Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Classics

I am writing this post because a FB status from a former student caught my eye.  She is in high school now.  She went to see a production of Macbeth and thought it was awesome.  I was so excited by this because I believe in Shakespeare as a tool in the elementary classroom.

Katie, my FB student, was involved in a number of Shakespearian productions I put on with the students.  I believe this early foundation is a key to understanding and enjoying Shakespeare throughout her lifetime.

Let's face it, if we do not study the "classics" and have fun with them while we are impressionable we probably will never develop a love for these things.  Whether it is Shakespeare, opera, ballet, symphonies, the periodic table of elements, astronomy, Twain, Steinbeck, Austen or mythology, getting a taste of the classics while you are young goes a long way toward appreciation of them when you are older.

We are about to begin a production of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.  I will be doing this with students who are new to me this year.  I know that being involved with a production is the only way to understand Shakespeare.  It is not meant to be read in a classroom.  It is meant to be acted out for an audience.  This is the only way to be truly inspired by it and I hope these new students will find the magic in his words.

I have had other students like Katie who have gone on to study more about Shakespeare and enjoy his other productions.  I am very grateful that these students were inspired by what we did together.

No comments:

Post a Comment