Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Relationship

This year I have to form relationships with 33 new students.  It has been a long time since all the students in my class have been "brand new" to the teachers, one of whom is me!

There is nothing more important than the relationship between the student and the teacher.  It involves inspiration, trust, respect, common ground, and compassion.

Establishing a relationship takes time, needs nurturing, and must be allowed to grow.  Teachers who have students for only one year must rush through this process in order to reach each student.  A rushed relationship can lead to misunderstandings, miscues and mistrust.

I am so fortunate to teach in a Montessori school.  The relationships we form with the students grow over 3 years.  We truly come to understand the student's learning style, passions, and especially the student's challenges.  We can be patient and allow these relationships to grow.

This year I am at a new school so all my students are new to me.  I am so excited to get to know each and every one of them and what makes them tick!

No comments:

Post a Comment