Monday, December 5, 2011

Cake Balls are FUN!

This past weekend I had 9 students come to my house.  We made chocolate cover pretzels and Cake Balls.
It was fun for me to work with the students (who also helped me decorate my Christmas Tree!).  They were helpful to each other.  My nieces, Genevieve and Lily came as well as my nephew, Dylan.  I loved how Genevieve treated her younger brother and offered to help him when he became frustrated.  All the students shared and worked together.  It was a lovely afternoon and everyone went home with tasty treats.

In previous blog posts, I have posted my "kitchen rules."  Clean up is part of the activity and when students work together it can be lots of fun.

Here is the Cake Ball recipe.
1 cake ( made according to package directions)
1 can of Frosting
Chocolate Almond Bark or Chocolate Coating chips
sprinkles, coconut or other items for decoration
I use a large piece of wax paper for the students to define their workspace.  I also use 2 plastic table cloths for easy clean up.
Bake the cake and let cool completely.  Use a food processor to turn it into crumbs.
Add the can of frosting.  Mix well.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  It is easier to form the balls when the mixture is cold.

Using a melon ball scoop, form balls of the mixture.  Put on wax paper and freeze for a few hours.
When ready to dip, melt the chocolate bark in the microwave. 
Dip each ball in using a toothpick or plastic fork to hold the ball.
Keep some frozen while working on others.  Decorate with sprinkles, coconut or other fun things.
Refrigerate until coating hardens and enjoy!


We made 3 different kinds
Chocolate cake with chocolate mint icing
Red velvet cake with cream cheese icing
Spice cake with cream cheese icing.
Use your imagination,  Go wild in the kitchen.



But remember to clean up!

No comments:

Post a Comment